Be the bright light to someone in the dark

 About 10 years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with a very strong desire to write about one specific person who was a bright light to my family when we were in darkness. Today, as I was organizing my files, I saw the notes that I made that night. I realized that this is the best time to share these notes as we navigate these challenging times. 



Nanay Loleng was one of the first people who extended help to my family when we arrived penniless and exhausted in the province that would become our new permanent home. The ripe bananas she gave us started the flood of food and goodwill from our neighbors, which tamed our growling stomachs and kept us alive.  

She made sure that despite the absence of enough school supplies and uniforms, we would be accepted and treated well in the nearby school. When we didn’t have money to pay for school contributions, which was usually the case, she talked to our principal to promise that we would pay but the school had to wait. She continued to support us as we were rebuilding our lives - she helped my father get a job; she offered the space under her house for us to stay in for free while we were building our “kubo;” and, she sent food our way that provided us with a lifeline to another day.

Her support helped us survive, but more importantly it helped us see beyond the harshness of life. She gave us hope – that people are generally good, that a community supports its members, and that life could be better. Piece by piece, we rebuilt the dreams that were shattered by the volcanic eruption. We studied hard and we worked hard. It’s more than ten years now since I graduated with honors from our country’s premier university. We’ve moved to another place and bought our own house. We now have good jobs and enough food to eat. As I remembered her my heart swelled with gratitude, respect and love for this amazing 85-year old lady whom my family fondly calls Nanay Loleng. She is not a relative but she will always be our “Nanay Loleng”- our mother and grandmother. Life was harsh but Nanay Loleng’s help made it bearable.

When there is an opportunity to do so, and you are able to do so, please be the bright light to someone who needs it. 

Comments